What to Do if You Were Arrested Over Memorial Day Weekend
The numbers have yet to be counted, but in typical Los Angeles fashion, police patrols were out in full force to catch drunk drivers this Memorial Day weekend.
Last weekend, California Highway Patrol officers stepped out in full force to catch drunk and drugged drivers over the holiday weekend. This year’s Memorial Day was Monday, May 25, but patrols started the Friday before on May 22.
Not only were officers driving the streets to catch drunk drivers, but they also set up a number of DUI sobriety checkpoints. As is the law, police must announce these checkpoints ahead of time. They were set up in the following locations:
Friday Night (May 22) DUI Checkpoints
- Sheriffs set up a DUI checkpoint near the Staples Center at the cross of Olympic and Blaine
- Van Nuys got a DUI checkpoint as well, at the cross section of Van Nuys Blvd. and Hart Street
- Another checkpoint awaited drivers near the Trader Joe’s in Varrio Hancock Parque
- Sheriffs made a vague announcement that a checkpoint would be set up “somewhere in Lakewood”
- Another ambiguous announcement, a checkpoint would be set up somewhere in Pasadena
Saturday (May 23) DUI Checkpoints
- While sheriffs didn’t describe any checkpoints in particular, they announced that they would be conducting a “saturation patrol” (greater police presence) in the DTLA, Westlake, Echo Park, and Boyle Heights areas
- South LA DUI checkpoint at Western and Slauson
- Pico Rivera – undisclosed
- Santa Monica – undisclosed
Sunday (May 24) DUI Checkpoints
- San Pedro checkpoint at Harbor and Santa Cruz
- USC / Baldwin Hills area
- Another saturation patrol in the city of Hollywood
If you were arrested at any one of these DUI checkpoints, we invite you to contact a Los Angeles DUI attorney at Gold & Witham today. We offer free case evaluations to inform people of their legal rights and options after a DUI arrest!
Remember, just because you were arrested at a Memorial Day stop or DUI checkpoint doesn’t mean you are guilty. Get tough defense from one of the drunk driving defense lawyers at our law firm!