Skip to Content
Requesting a Restricted License

Requesting a Restricted License

Limited Driving Privileges After License Suspension

Following a DUI or other traffic law conviction, not all DMV hearings are successful. In Los Angeles County, in particular, DMV hearing officers are getting stricter and are not allowing people with administrative per se (APS) suspensions to win their driver's licenses back.

If you attended your DMV hearing and were not successful in defending your case, then your license will be suspended according to the time specified by your offense.

Fortunately, you may still have a way to drive to and from work by applying for a restricted driver's license.

Quick Facts About California's Restricted License

  • A restricted license allows any work-related driving, and to and from the alcohol program.
  • A restricted license is not available to a person who has been suspended for a full year for refusing to take a chemical test.
  • For multiple DUI offenders, restricted license privileges are available but only after a full year of license suspension and different conditions apply.

Applying for a Restricted Driver's License

If you are unsuccessful at the DMV hearing and you want to request a restricted license, you cannot do so at the DMV hearing. You must petition for this type of driving privilege at the DMV at a later date.

Please note that a restricted driver's license does not completely restore your driving privileges. With a restricted license, you can drive to and from work only.

For more information, view our FAQ page "How Do You Apply for a Restricted License?"

Requirements for Applying

Before you apply for a restricted driver's license, you must request a first DUI offender treatment list from the DMV. Alternatively, this form is called AB 541. You must show proof to the DMV that you are enrolled in a program on that list. These treatment programs unfortunately aren't free, and you have to pay all treatment fees before you petition for the restricted license.

You will also have to secure a letter from your employer. Talk to your employer and explain your situation to them. If they agree, they should provide you with a signed letter explaining why you need to have restricted driving privileges and the importance of you being able to drive to and from work during your period of license suspension.

The final requirement is the installation of an ignition interlock device (IID) on the vehicle you will be driving. You are responsible for getting an IID from an approved vendor, having it installed, and regularly calibrated. Show the DMV proof of installation to apply for a restricted license.

Contacted an Attorney Today!

If you need help applying for a restricted driver's license in Los Angeles, contact Gold & Witham. We can help you take the necessary steps to qualify for this type of license, so get in touch with us today by calling (800) 716-6791 or filling out a free consultation form.

Our Philosophy Is Simple

Legal assistance is most helpful when it is customized and tailored to every individual client.

  • 24/7 Emergency Support
  • Emails and Phone Calls Answered Promptly
  • Experienced Legal Advocates on Your Side
  • Always Be Up to Date on the Status of Your Case
  • Work Directly with Mr. Gold and Mr. Witham

We Could Tell You Why You Should Hire Us, Our Clients Say It Better

  • "Personal Service with Results"

  • "Kept me free and gave me back myself!"

  • "FANTASTIC results!!! I could not be happier with these results."

  • "Because of you I am still sober, and I live a whole new life!"

  • "I know you are the best in your field."

  • "Best DUI defense in town."


Our Proven Methods

Will Be Your Peace of Mind

Call Us at 800-716-6791 for a Free Case Evaluation or Completer Form.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy