Los Angeles Felony DUI Attorney
Any DUI charge is serious—but a felony DUI can result in years of imprisonment in a state prison, as well as heavy fines and other penalties. Most commonly, charges for a fourth DUI, a DUI with injury, or vehicular manslaughter will be charged as a felony in California.
At Gold & Witham, we can provide competent DUI defense even in the face of complex charges. Our years of experience—coupled with our commitment to our clients—has given us the benefit of helping many clients achieve successful outcomes for their cases. By providing representation throughout your case, we can give you peace of mind in knowing you are in good hands.
Felony vs. Misdemeanor DUI Charges
- A misdemeanor is a criminal offense punishable by up to 12 months in county jail
- A felony is an offense punishable by a minimum of 1 year in state prison or jail
That is the classification which determines whether a DUI offense will be charged as a felony or misdemeanor—the penalty associated with the crime itself. Most DUI charges in California are charged as misdemeanors, particularly first time offenses. Certain circumstances, however, will qualify a charge as a felony DUI, where the consequences of a conviction are much more serious.
Penalties for a Felony DUI
- DUI causing injury is a "wobbler," although it is most often charged as a felony offense. If you cause an auto accident and are determined to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you may be charged with DUI with injury. The maximum penalty for this crime is up to 6 years in state prison, when great bodily injury is caused by the accident.
- A fourth DUI is a felony. You may be sentenced to up to 3 years in prison, along with fines and other criminal penalties. Your license may also be suspended for up to 4 years.
- Vehicular manslaughter is almost always charged as a felony. If convicted of this crime, you will face up to 4 years in state prison and 10 years if gross negligence is proven.
Defend Your Case with Professional Help
When facing a felony charge, you are in serious legal trouble.
It would be strongly advised that you contact Gold & Witham without delay as any defense takes commitment, dedication, and time. There is a limited time frame to develop a compelling defense on felony DUI charges. All evidence must be reviewed and the case evaluated. It is crucial that you contact the office immediately for your free initial case evaluation.
Our Los Angeles DUI attorneys, upon review of the evidence against you, can seek further evidence with which to defend you. Witnesses can become difficult to find and finding other possibly exonerating evidence is vital in your felony drunk driving charges.
A felony conviction is a life changing event. Therefore, you can't afford to wait before retaining an attorney who will defend your case in court. Call the office today!