DUI with Injury Defense in L.A.
A person involved in a car crash causing injury while DUI is subject to extremely serious criminal charges. In California, DUI causing injury may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony offense, depending upon the severity of injuries the victim suffers and the defendant's criminal history.
CVC § 23153 – DUI Causing Injury Law
The California law detailing DUI offenses involving injury to another party can be found in § 23153 of the California Vehicle Code. According to this statute:
(a) It is unlawful for a person, while under the influence of any alcoholic beverage to drive a vehicle and concurrently do any act forbidden by law, or neglect any duty imposed by law in driving the vehicle, which act or neglect proximately causes bodily injury to any person other than the driver.
You can be charged with DUI causing injury if their drunk driving resulted in injury to:
- Passenger of their own vehicle
- Passenger in another vehicle
- Driver of another vehicle
- Pedestrian / bicyclist
Commercial drivers can also be charged under § 23153 if they caused an accident resulting in the injury of another person with a blood alcohol content at or above 0.04 percent.
Penalties for DUI with Injury
Misdemeanor DUI Causing Injury
- Up to 5 years of probation
- 5 days to 1 year in county jail
- $390 to $5,000 in fines
- 3 to 9 month alcohol or drug education program
- 1-year driver's license suspension
Felony DUI Causing Injury
- 16 months to 4 years in prison
- Additional 3 years for every additional party that sustains "great" bodily injury
- Additional 1 year for every additional party that sustains any bodily injury
- A "strike" on your criminal record of great bodily injury alleged
- Up to $20,000 in fines
- An 18 or 30 month alcohol or drug education program
- 4-year driver's license revocation
At Gold & Witham, our skilled Los Angeles DUI attorneys have more than 40 years of collective legal experience to apply to your aggressive defense. We are fully dedicated to representing our clients' interests and to defending their rights in criminal court and at their DMV hearings, in order to protect their freedom, future, and driving privileges. We represent drivers throughout Los Angeles and the surrounding areas in Southern California and offer a free initial consultation.